Home' Visitor Guide : 2019 Port Augusta Visitor Guide Contents www.wadlata.sa .gov.au 23
22 THE OLD BARGE was brought here by the
E&WS for use in the widening of the bridge in
1944. It was abandoned after the work was completed
because, it is said, it would not fit
back under the bridge.
23 SEAVIEW HOUSE was constructed in 1881
at a cost of £4,500 ($9,000) by the Bank of S.A . The
Union Bank took it over in 1892 but closed its doors
in 1894. In later years it became the Seaview Hostel,
a boarding house for railway employees, and now it
houses the Department of Primary Industry.
MARRYATT STREET probably recognizes Lady
Augusta Young’s maiden name.
24 POST OFFICE. There had been a telegraph
service to Adelaide, run by James Fabian Phillips,
as early as 1856, but it probably operated from the
Customs House, where Hiram Mildred looked after
the postal service, among his many duties. In 1866
a telegraph station was built on this site, and the
Telegraph and Post Office were amalgamated in 1870.
The Overland Telegraph began from Port Augusta
in 1870. The present building was constructed in
1962. There had been earlier local experiments with
telephone, for example in 1884 when Dr Markham’s
house was connected with the hospital, but the first
telephone exchange was established in 1911.
25 INSTITUTE THEATRE was originally the Institute
erected by subscription from members of the town
and opened in 1876. The building was used variously
as a council office, Road Board Office, church,
school, library and reading rooms, billiard club,
entertainment area, youth club. It was refurbished
in 2008 as part of the State Government’s Regional
Centre of Culture program for use as a theatre.
26 TOWN HALL. The original town hall was
completed in 1887, and was a remarkable symbol
of progress. The stone was carried from quarries
at Quorn. In 1944 it was largely destroyed by fire,
but was rebuilt around the Corinthian frontage
and dome which survived, and reopened in 1946.
The building has not been well maintained since it
was vacated by the Council in 1983, and its future is
27 OLD FIRE STATION was built in 1880 to house
the offices of the Board of Main Roads, and was later
home to the fire brigade until the new fire station
was built in the 1970s.
28 OLD COURT HOUSE. This fine building was
built from Saltia Creek stone in 1884. Earlier court
proceedings were conducted in the Customs House,
then a Court House was erected in 1866, along with
a police station, on the now vacant corner. The police
took over both parts of that building and in 1966 a
new police station was built. This was demolished in
1996, when the new station was built.
29 TROOPERS’ BARRACKS. This area was used
as the Troopers’ Barracks from 1860 to 1882. The
residence was built in 1881, and was converted to
a waterworks and store in 1882. The Blacksmith’s
Shop was converted to a library and the Courts
Department used the offices until 2006. In 2008
the buildings were converted into two galleries,
“ Yarta Purtli”, and administration offices, and
together with the Institute Theatre they make up
the Cultural Precinct.
GLADSTONE SQUARE was named after the
Prime Minister of England in 1883 – across the road,
where the Civic Centre now stands, was originally
Disraeli Square. Disraeli was the other PM in England
that year. Looking around you will see the statue of
former long-serving late Mayor Joy Baluch AM, the
Cross of Sacrifice and honour rolls, the 1914 Krupp
field gun, “Reflection Rose” garden memorial and
the “Olympic Rose Garden”, wheelchair friendly
Liberty Swing, and furnishings donated by various
individuals and organizations.
30 A.D. TASSIE MEMORIAL was originally
located on the corner of Commercial Road and
Church Street, but was relocated here in 1881 and
eventually remounted on the masonry pedestal.
31 ROTUNDA. The Rotunda was built in 1890. In
1923 it was dedicated as a Soldiers’ Memorial. It was
extensively restored in 2010.
32 DRINKING FOUNTAIN was located at the
wharf end of Commercial Road before being
relocated to Gladstone Square in the 1930s. It is a
tribute to the memory of James Beatton, postmaster
of Port Augusta from 1882 until his death in 1905.
33 THOMAS YOUNG MEMORIAL was erected
in 1913 in memory of “The Father of Port Augusta”.
He served for many years as a councillor and was
the fourth mayor, and served the community in
many other roles. This has also been relocated from
its original position, somewhere on the far side of
Disraeli Square (Civic Centre).
34 NORTHERN GATEWAY SHOPPING CENTRE,
was formerly a brewery, much later a licensed hotel,
entertainment and accommodation complex known
as the Northern Gateway Inn until 1989. A small stone
brewery was on the site from the late 1860s, and was
substantially extended in 1879 but was abandoned
in 1897 due the difficulty in obtaining suitable water.
A cordial factory was there for a time, but fire in 1943
caused considerable damage – the chimney and
front archway remain to this day.
35 PORT AUGUSTA BOWLING CLUB celebrated
100 years in 2009, having been in the same location
for that whole period of time, although the club
house was originally at the opposite end of the
36 PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. The foundation
stone for the manse and church was laid in 1885, after
several earlier attempts to establish a congregation
in Port Augusta, the first appointment being Rev.
Alexander Law in 1862. Having decided not to join
the Uniting Church in 1977, this remains the only
Presbyterian congregation outside the metropolitan
area in northern half of the state.
37 QUINN FUNERALS CHAPEL, was formerly
the Salvation Army Citadel, opened in 1919 by a
Corps which was founded in 1883. Quinn Funerals
purchased the building in 2009.
© Copyright Cynthia Collins: Information sourced
from the Port Augusta Public Library.
Links Archive 2017 Port Augusta Visitor Guide Navigation Previous Page Next Page