Home' Visitor Guide : December 2012 Contents www.wadlata.sa.gov.au 33
Bible Christians in 1897 to form the Methodist Church.
In 1970 the Methodist, Congregational and some
Presbyterian Churches combined to form the Uniting
Church of Australia.
16 FLINDERS HOTEL, originally Mackay's
Hotel and then Flinders Family Hotel. When built in
1878 by Alexander Mackay, it was said to be the largest
and most commodious hotel of its kind at that time in
South Australia. Mackay had built the first hotel in Port
Augusta in 1855, and this was his fourth, each one more
prosperous than the last. There were 12 hotels built in
Port Augusta between 1878 and 1883, but evidently this
was the finest!
17 TARGET COUNTRY, formerly Young &
Gordon. This historical building was erected in 1882
by Bignell & Young, who had been in business together
since 1867 as general store and shipping agents. It was
the largest building constructed outside of Adelaide.
In 1881 Bignell retired and the firm became Young &
Gordon. It was owned solely by the Young family after
1911, but continued to trade as Young & Gordon P/L
until they sold the property in 1987.
18 THE TASSIE was built in 2009, and was the
first hotel built in Port Augusta since 1883. It replaced
the Exchange Hotel, Great Northern Hotel and "The
Vault" which was originally the second location of the
19 AQUATIC AND OUTDOOR
ADVENTURE CENTRE is operated from the
old Yacht Club, which incorporated the much older
Customs House, built around 1873, itself replacing an
earlier wooden structure built in 1859. Moving towards
the wharf you will see the new Yacht Club beyond,
which was built in 1999, mostly on reclaimed land.
THE WHARF reminds us of when Port Augusta
was indeed a thriving port -- this ended in the early
1970s, when the last Japanese ships carrying copper
concentrate visited the port.
20 SWIMMERS' MEMORIAL. This
walled Memorial Garden was built by the Swimming
Club, to honour its members who had made the
supreme sacrifice in WWII. As part of the foreshore
re-development, the garden was up-graded and a re-
dedication memorial service was held in February 2004.
21 MILL JETTY. This is the sole remaining jetty
of the eight which were erected between 1854 and
1879, prior to the wharf being built in the mid-1880s.
It belonged to the flour mill which was built by Dunn
& Co in 1880, supposedly fire-proof, but ultimately
destroyed by fire in 1926.
22 GREAT WESTERN BRIDGE was opened
in 1927. Prior to this, the only way to the other side of
the gulf was by ferry, or around the top of the gulf, a 13
km detour via Yorkey Crossing. In 1944 it was widened
to carry the Morgan-Whyalla pipeline, which brought
an assured water supply for the first time. This bridge is
now only used for recreational purposes, and the new
Port Augusta Bridge was opened in 1972, with a major
re-alignment of the main highway through town.
23 THE OLD BARGE was originally built in the
1880s, on the Murray, but was then used to carry ore
from Whyalla to Port Pirie. The E&WS brought it from
Port Pirie for use in the widening of the bridge in 1944,
and also some extension work on the wharf. It was
abandoned after the work was completed, because, it is
said, it would not fit back under the bridge.
24 SEAVIEW HOUSE was constructed in 1881
at a cost of £4,500 by the Bank of S.A. The Union Bank
took it over in 1892, but closed its doors in 1894. In
later years it became the Seaview Hostel, a boarding
house for Commonwealth Railways employees, but now
houses the Department of Primary Industry.
25 POST OFFICE. There had been a telegraph
service to Adelaide, run by James Fabian Phillips, as early
as 1856, but it probably operated from the Customs
House, where Hiram Mildred looked after the postal
service, among his many duties. In 1866 a telegraph
station was built on this site, and the Telegraph and
Post Office were amalgamated in 1870. The Overland
Telegraph began from Port Augusta in 1870. The
present building was constructed in 1962. There had
been earlier local experiments with telephone, for
example in 1884 when Dr Markham's house was
connected with the hospital, but the first telephone
exchange was established in 1911.
26 INSTITUTE THEATRE. Originally the
Institute was erected by subscription from members of
the town. It was opened in 1876. The building was used
variously as a Council Office, church, school, library and
reading rooms, billiard club rooms, entertainment area,
and more recently as a youth club. It was refurbished
in 2008, as part of the State Government's Regional
Centre of Culture program, for use as a theatre.
27 TOWN HALL. The original Town Hall was
completed in 1887, and was a remarkable symbol of
progress, as it was the largest building in the town at
that time. The stone was carted from quarries at Quorn.
On 17 May 1944 the larger part was destroyed by fire,
but the Corinthian frontage and the dome escaped, and
the hall was rebuilt and re-opened in 1946. It had a
beautiful two-storey theatre, and a huge ballroom in the
basement (which was unfortunately subject to flooding).
The building has not been well maintained since it was
vacated by the City Council administration in 1983, and
its future is uncertain.
28 OLD FIRE STATION. This smaller building
adjacent to the Town Hall was built in 1880 to house
the offices of the Board of Main Roads. It was later
home to the Fire Brigade for many years, until the new
Fire Station was built in the 1970s, and the building is
now used for community purposes.
29 OLD COURT HOUSE. This fine building
was made of Saltia Creek stone, in 1884. Earlier court
proceedings were held in the Customs House, then a
Court House was erected in 1866 along with a Police
Station, on the now vacant corner. The police took
over both parts of that building, and in 1966 a new
Police Station was built. This was demolished in 1996,
and a new station built in Commercial Road, opposite
Curdnatta Art Gallery. A new court complex was
completed in Flinders Terrace in 2007.
30 TROOPERS' BARRACKS. This area was
used as the Troopers' Barracks from 1860 to 1882. The
residence was built in 1881, and was converted to a
waterworks and store in 1882. The Blacksmith's Shop
was converted to a library and the Courts Department
used the offices until 2006. In 2008 the buildings
were converted to two galleries, "Yarta Purtli", and
administration offices, and together with the Institute
Theatre they make up the Cultural Precinct established
as part of the Regional Centre of Cultural program.
GLADSTONE SQUARE was named after the
Prime Minister of England in 1883. From 1924 until
1993 a portion of it was home to the Port Augusta
Women's Croquet Club, since relocated firstly to
Flinders Terrace, between Cooinda Club and the Courts
Complex, and most recently to a location shared with
the E.T.S.A. Bowling Club. Looking around, you will
see the wheelchair-friendly Liberty Swing, the Cross
of Sacrifice and honor rolls, "Reflection Rose" garden
memorial, the “Olympic Rose Garden”, the 1914 Krupp
Cannon, and furnishings donated by various individuals
31 A.D. TASSIE MEMORIAL. This
monument was originally located on the corner of
Commercial Road and Church Street, but was relocated
to Gladstone Square in 1881 where it was eventually
mounted on a masonry pedestal. Tassie was the first
British settler in Port Augusta, arriving in 1854.
32 ROTUNDA. The Rotunda was built in 1890.
In 1923 it was dedicated as a Soldiers' Memorial. It was
extensively restored in 2010.
33 DRINKING FOUNTAIN. The fountain was
located at the wharf end of Commercial Road, before
being relocated to Gladstone Square during the 1930s. It
is a tribute to the memory of James Beatton, Postmaster
of Port Augusta from 1882 until his death in 1905.
34 THOMAS YOUNG MEMORIAL was
erected in 1913, in memory of "The Father of Port
Augusta". Mr Young, of Bignell & Young, and later
Young & Gordon fame, was elected to Council in 1878
and served for 34 years. He became Port Augusta's
fourth Mayor in 1897 and served a 3-year term.
35 NORTHERN GATEWAY SHOPPING
CENTRE, formerly a brewery, then a licensed hotel,
entertainment and accommodation complex known as
the Northern Gateway Inn until 1989. The Northern
Gateway Inn acquired its licence in 1971 from the Globe
Inn, which had been next door since 1871, and was
subsequently demolished. A small stone brewery was
on the site from the late 1860s, and it was substantially
extended by Perrers' in 1879, but was abandoned in
1897 due to the difficulty of obtaining suitable water. It
was then a depot for West End beer, and manufactured
soft drinks as the Crystal Cordial Company. A fire in
1943 caused considerable damage, but the 65 feet high
chimney, Marryatt Street section and the front archway
remain to this day.
36 PORT AUGUSTA BOWLING CLUB
celebrated its 100 year anniversary in 2009, having been
in the same location for that whole period of time,
although the original clubhouse was at the opposite end
of the green.
37 PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The foundation stone for the manse and church was
laid in 1885, after several earlier attempts to establish
a congregation in Port Augusta, the first appointment
being Rev. Alexander Law in 1862. Having decided not
to join the Uniting Church in 1977, this remains the only
Presbyterian congregation outside the metropolitan area
in northern half of the state.
38 QUINN FUNERALS CHAPEL, formerly
the Salvation Army Citadel, was opened in 1919, by a
Corps which was founded in 1883. Quinn Funerals later
purchased the building in 2009.
© Copyright Cynthia Collins: Information sourced from
the Port Augusta Public Library.
Links Archive 2014 Guide Navigation Previous Page Next Page